Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rabbits

Currently I have:

2 Flemish Giant does
2 English Angora does
2 Giant Angora bucks
and 1 Rex doe

The Rex and one of the English Angora's were bred to a friends' bucks on Aug. 21, 2010. I am expecting purebred kits on Sept. 21, 2010, though they will not be registered.

I bred the Flemish Giants to the Giant Angora's on the same day. In theory I should get a mix of kits with long wool and kits with reg. fur.

This first breeding is mostly to see who will produce what and if they will raise a litter. Only one of our doe's is a proven mother.

The Giant Angora's I have are purebred with pedigree but are not registered as they are colored. They came from a breeding program Colleen Wagner developed to try and introduce color into the breed standard. They are a little small for Giant's so she cut them from her breeding program. I'm breeding with the Flemish Giants in an attempt to increase the size of the kits and because I haven't been able to find a decent Giant Angora doe at a reasonable price within a reasonable distance from my house. With line breeding, after 3 generations, I will have a purebred herd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment