Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Farm Update

Sorry I have not posted in a while. My sweetie is in and I never seem to get things done when he's here.

Anyway I thought I would give a quick update.

Lucy and Ethel, our Red Angus cows, went to meet their destiny yesterday. On a side note: cattle prods don't work as well as you think they should. We had to walk them slowly into the trailer without using the cattle prod. We now have 2 Black Angus calves to raise, BamBam and Pebbles.

The bunnies were re-bred on Sat. Oct. 9th. I will be putting them back in with the bucks on Sat. the 16th. If the buck tries again the doe is probably not pregnant, if he doesn't want anything to do with her then she's probably pregnant. This is not even 95% accurate, but its the best I've got without involving a vet.

The chickens are finally starting to lay eggs. We think we have 21 hens and 2-3 roosters. We're getting 15 eggs per day, consistently.

The kittens are losing weight. We've lost one. I'm hoping to get them to the vet next week. In the meantime I gave them a dose of garlic. They didn't like it but it worked when the turkeys were sick so it can't hurt. I'd also like to de-worm them. And as far as the momma cats go, we're going to start getting them fixed in pairs. That way there wont be too many cats in the house at once.

Oh, and the 2 ewe's we will be breeding this fall have been moved in with the ram. The weathers has been moved in with the remaining permanent ewe and the 2 meat sheep. Moving them was way too exciting. I'm not sure I could have done it by myself. The weathers threw himself to the ground and wouldn't budge. I literally had to pick him up while the other person pulled. We'd make it a few steps then he would throw himself down again. Trouble kicked and jumped the whole way. We had to tug Lizzy a little but she didn't cause too much of a fuss. Of course we moved her last, she's a year or so older then the other's and she's been through this once before.

Halloween; I have some really cool decor that I've done myself. I will be posting pics and hopefully a tutorial soon.

Homeschool; since I chickened out on actually Homeschooling, I thought we could do a little something every day. HA!! That hasn't worked out so far. This week is letter M and the country is still Tunisia as we have not finished our lapbook. But there is still time this week and the kids have Friday off from public school so we'll just have to see what we can do.

Well thats all for the moment. Now to go and feed those hungry critters before they mutiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment