Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Lambs!!



Oh my gosh!! They're SOOOOOO CUTE, and I am so pleased to introduce you to them!


This is Marilyn she was born to our ewe Lizzy. She was the smallest in a set of triplets, unfortunately the other 2 lambs didn't make it. She's small and sleeps a lot more then the other lambs, even though she was born first. Here I'm trying to give her a little extra nutrition. For those of you who are wondering, yes I did try a bottle first. I even tried a rubber glove (goats seem to like them better then a bottle) She drank this way for me once but I haven't been able to get her to do it again.


Please meet Coco and Elvis. Coco is a the colored lamb and Elvis is white, though he has one or two spots of color. Their momma Tilly, she's a Tunis, is a bit of a nut.Even though we've had her for month's now and I go in their pen and try to interact with her, you know show her we're not going to hurt her / get her used to people, she's still a nut.

Our newest Finnesheep Phoebe had 2 little girls; Hippie and Rita. Hippie is very interesting, her wool is twice as long as any of the other lambs. Rita is a mountain climber. When her mom lays down to rest, she likes to climb on top of her and bounce around.


And last but not least, we have Squirrel. He has some definite spunk! His momma was our black ewe Trouble. I'm not sure if you can tell but those are skids being used as the sides of the pen. Squirrel is instigator and will slip behind the skid to visit Gretta. When Elvis and Coco see him they do the same.


Gretta's pen is in the corner between Tilly and Trouble. I don't believe we will be seeing any lambs from her this year. I believe she may have had one but it was stillborn or she failed to care for it.


I have some more sadness to write now. . . Our Blue Faced Leicester, Lisa, recently passed. She was carrying triplets. The vet, my husband and I tried but we were unable to save either the momma or the lambs. The vet said there was nothing we could have done differently. Sheep are really good at hiding when they don't feel well. Anything I might have questioned I contributed to her pregnancy and the multiple's she was carrying. I will be talking extensively with our vet to prevent future problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment